Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Casanegra - Perfected Fiction


I am finally reading Casanegra.

Sad, I know. But I originally bought it because it had Blair Underwood on the cover, front and back. And that was reason enough. Didn't matter what was between the covers, actually. If Blair is affiliated, I am supporting.

Let me back up. My Blair love runs deep. LA Law deep. Just like authors, actors can change reality, spin fiction into real life clarity. And Blair's character on LA Law made me believe I could litigate, could be the sole black attorney in a see of white. Didn't he make it look good. Between him and Claire Huxtable, I would not be denied.

And who can deny his acting prowess. Wasn't Just Cause stunning. Scary actually. I was so into the "poor impoverished black man" theme, I didn't see the sick twist coming. And who else could play the love interest of Miranda and not make me jealous or with the interracial angle. Only Blair. Why? Because what women could blame ANY women who got her hands on him?

So, I purchased Casanegra and shelved it. Didn't really want to crack its covers and be disappointed. As you know, i don't trust many reviews, so I was skeptical. Tonight, while I tried to capture the different story lines floating around my head, I retrieved it. Figured a good read would free my mind. And I must say, I am delighted.

Clever delivery and manifested suspense with the careful crafting of each line, Mr. Underwood, Ms. Tananarive Dur and Steven Barnes put together a wonderful piece of work. The writing is superb, the type that makes the writer in me aspire to create snazzier (word?) metaphors and simple but complicated undercurrents. The first 30 pages have been literary heaven for me. I am on roll this summer. First Octavia Butler's genius, now this. I'm thrilled, refreshed actually, and I haven't even gotten to the meat of the story.

So far, Casanegra is proof that there is a benefit gained by perfecting one's writing. How careful use of one adjective can change the entire intent of the sentence, of the character, of the flow. How character description extends beyond clothing to understanding how the characters think and interact. I believe I am, once again, falling in literary love. (I will update you when i complete the book.)

No comments: