Thursday, November 15, 2007

Essence Magazine

I just found out - my poem Pre Destiny will be published in Essence Magazine. Can you believe that? Now, I don't want to get too emotional, I am normally pretty good at masking that. But...do you know what a milestone Essence magazine is for me?

When I was about 10, I read Terry McMillan's Discovering Acts. I remember it because I was, and am, a voracious reader and I had never read anything so real before. Toni and Alice felt so abstract in their writing (to my young mind) but Terry was real life. And with that I sat down and put pen to paper. I must've wrote twenty articles for Essence. But I had no idea how to get the article to them and no idea how to even ask for help. So they just faded away. And when teenage angst sank in, along with depression, I gave up hope of every realizing that dream. I was to busy tryin to survive.

And now it has happened. Not an article, or a book excerpt, like I had planned, but still. Something of mine will be in Essence. Whew...I have come along way ya'll. And I am still just getting started!! Which is both tiring and thrilling at the same time. So stay tuned for updates on the Essence issue...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you for you. I know that you have been working so hard - you deserve it :-)Congrats! I wish you continued blessings.

Your former Wilson classmate,

Yantise

Shai said...

Congrats on the acceptance to Essence. It is an awesome experience and accomplishment. I cannot wait to read it. Keep me informed.

PatriciaW said...

Congratulations a.Kai! You feel like it's big time because...it is!

Major kudos! Let us know what issue.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Give my love to the family. I'm really happy for you.