Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Beat It!

I discovered today why childcare is worth 450.00 a week. Yes, I pay $450.00 a week. Which is why I am the only non Benz driving sista in my neighborhood. That and the other expenses surrounding 5 kids. But I digress.

Where was I? Ah yes, I discovered today why childcare is worth $450.00 a week. I should say that my kids are getting the best preHarvard care imaginable and will be on their way straight to ivy league - that is if they don't get burned out and began to hate school. But that's not it. I purposely didn't put them somewhere overly academic at too a young age - been there, done that. When my eldest daughter was bringing home an hours worth of worksheets a night, not including the weekly scriptures that needed memorizing, and she was in Pre K, I decided to never go for the - "we teach Spanish and French and cursive and long division before they can spell their names" programs again.

SO now my kids are in a learning-play environment. They're talking better, motor skills are phenomenal, counting and learning and identifying some words. Potty training has finally been accomplished (they are very late): my only feasible excuse is that as twins, they just didn't seem to be in a rush to do anything that didn't suit the two of them. Making speaking to other people (because they seem to know what they are saying) and potty training and all those socially relevant things low on the priority totem pole, because all they care about is each other.

I normally pay an extra $200.00 a month for them to participate in Music learning - singing and instruments and dancing and rhythm. It seems that my extra money is either well spent, or completely unnecessary. Today I was riding home listening to Michael Baisden talk about getting his book hustle on. And I was lamenting how I am published in over 10 works at this point, but am still, in my own mind and against my own standard - which is always nearly impossible to reach, stagnant and failing.

In the midst of "everything is everything" I heard...."Beat It, Beat It . no wub gedo bedat Beat It. No dem bowdy boty, no its jut rit. It dudn't mabber who wrong or rite, just Beat It, jus tBeat it."
While my daughter sang my son bopped along, eyes closed like his sister was spittin fire - Gladys Knight/Alvin and the Chipmunks saanging.

Ya'll, I hollered laughing. There is no better moment in life than when your 3 year olds discover Michael Jackson (music only) and sings his classic like their life depends on it. It was one of the moments that I knew in an instant I would remember for the rest of my life. One of those pure indescribable joys that reminds me of how wonderful God is to send such delightful and unpredictable presents as children. Michael Jackson's Beat It? Are you kidding me? I loved it!!

And my 2 grand a month total - well, for just that experience it is worth it. But one of the teachers at their school is SOOOO busted for listening to the radio while on the job!

2 comments:

Jennifer C. said...

That is really funny about your twins and singing BEAT IT!

I sent my oldest to a private school as well, that taught cursive verses print to teach them how to write. Bible verses was a must. But I didn't go the same route with my boys. My 8yo is doing just fine as is my 3yo.

BTW my 3yo was the easiest one out of the 3 to potty train. It took one week, a few months after he turned 2. But the other two their lucky to still be alive.

a.Kai said...

aren't they something? LOL Sounds like he was at the same school as my daughter - I wouldn't be surprised. With the first everything has to be...the best. After her I calmed down, and the others are just find too.

Lessons of true mommydom!