Saturday, August 09, 2008

The First 50 Years (Bernie Mac)

50 years. What if that's all we get. 50 years. sigh...

Bernie Mac died today. My husband told me as I was sitting at the laptop, throwing down a Chick-Fil- A salad and trying to type out the rest of this Urban Fiction tale that has overtaken my mind. He kind of said it "at" me - the way he often deals with death, just flinging the information out there. And I was startled, then saddened. Overwhelmed. Isn't it amazing how someone who never met me could have a profound affect on me.

Which got me to thinking. Should I be sad? Or should I really observe Bernie Mac's life as a testament of what a person can do in a mere 50 years" He first broke into my consciousness when he took over Def Jam. I will never forget it - he walked out with his graffitti'd sweatshirt and jeans and told the audience "I ain't scared of you muthf..." Which was saying something. The Def Jam crowd was rambunctious and raw, and could be cruel. After he took over the stage he did a skit that sexing was nothing more than 50 pumps and incorporated DJ Capris into his skit. The most magnetic performance of that night. and with that a star was made.

It reminds me of Eminem's "Lose Yourself" song. That was his moment. If he flopped, it was all over. But he not only ruled the moment, he seemed to be ready for it. Bernie Mac had a "it's about time for ya'll to see me" energy that invaded the air. And that spring boarded into an unbelievable amount of successful ventures. Kings of Comedy, The Bernie Mac Show, innumerable movies, including Mr. 3000 (which I loved), Guess Who (with Ashton Kutcher) and, of course, Oceans 11, 12 and 13. His filmography lists incredible upcoming movies- 2009 was going to be a successful year for him. There is Madagascar 2, Soul Men, Pride, The Robin Harris Story, etc... He accomplished SO MUCH in 50 years - and only an estimated 15 years in the industry.

Can any of us say the same?

If God has limited me to 50 years, what can I list? My five children, my marriage, Georgetown Law Degree, NASA employee. That's the sum of me? That's what I took the first 34 years of life to do? What about the piano, the ability to write, the seeds that God planted in me. How many of them did I nurture and grow into something that would affect lives, change lives, make a difference. Who else have I touched, have I inspired anybody?

Now I am not saying that Bernie Mac was a saint or didn't make mistakes. He just flubbed a performance at a benefit for Obama a few months ago, in which he made some "stereotypical" statement that Obama separated himself from. And some people find his comedy crass. But Bernie Mac made people laugh. After a long day, a hard day, his show could lighten your mood, his movies could draw you in, his comedy could make you forget your troubles. Even if it was for a brief moment.

And that's what I admire. Have I pushed to reach my dream, to provide someone with reliable product that allows them to lose themselves in another world, another reality, and expands their horizons? When I die will people across the world know that I existed, will they look at my life and, though sad for my departure, be amazed at what I accomplished in my first 50 years?

That is the mark of a blessed life, I think. One that leaves people stunned by positivity achieved in such a brief time period. And I am saddened that I will not be able to enjoy future Bernie Mac, hurt that he had so much more to give us and it has been cut short. But I also believe that he made his mark in a unique way, transforming the Black comedic landscape in a way never quite accomplished before. Bernie Mac worked his first 50 years, like he worked that Def Jam stage. Unafraid, energetic, ready to jump into the moment and make it count.

Can the same be said of any of us when we reach the 50 year mark? God, I hope so...

No comments: