Friday, October 31, 2008

Another Halloween

This was one long day. First of all, my children's school was canceled - who knows what for. So my older two joined me in a Halloween parade with my youngest two. God bless preschool teachers - the young women work SO HARD. They dress the kids in their costumes, organized them, and away we went...but one thing. I sent my son in a Transformer costume. He turned up at the parade in a ninja outfit. As long as he wasn't crying and fussin, I could care less. But my older two, who had picked out the costume for him, were fit to be tied. I guess the Transformer costume is higher up on the food chain.

After work I went to the grocery store for candy. Yes, I am last minute like that. Anyhoo, this poor women was in line with a screaming baby, while I was still shopping. 20 minutes later, when I joined the line, she and the screaming, screeching newbie were still there. The baby sounded colichy (sp?) and the mommy didn't have his head covered. Also, I bet she was new at breastfeeding and hadn't pumped any milk to tide him over. These are the tricks to a quiet child that a seasoned momma knows. I sympathized with her. She had a months worth of food in the cart and was stuck, without help. But the old folks around me pissed me off. Shaking their heads, peering at her with disdain, mumbling that if she would just feed the child their precious ears wouldn't have to be assaulted. It was ridiculous. And you know who talked the most trash - the workers. How about doing your job so poor new mommy doesn't get stuck in line for 30 minutes, instead of rolling your eyes and sucking your teeth. I was too through. Been there done that, but I stand up for my mommies in training. It ain't easy and you can't knock it till you've done it. So I told the clerk - who was childless - that people like her make it difficult for young mothers. Yes - she and I had words. What has happened to our society where mommies and children are held in contempt? Pure foolishness.

I digress....

My evening was made 100% better by the Trunk or Treat event held at Riverdale Baptist School, Upper Marlboro, Md. An event for the family - the children's ministry and volunteers back the cars in a neat row which creates a "main street effect and "tailgate" with Halloween candy. and the volunteers went all out - putting up Halloween decorations in the trunks with baskets and gadgets and lights and pumpkins and distributing candy trunk by trunk. The event was free - though it would be nice to contribute a donation. It completely eliminates the door to door stranger thing, without removing the fun, outside, walking with costumes and interacting with people, "neighborhood" feel. It was an absolute joy and blessing. We had such a god time, and it was such a parental relief, that I think I am going to send them a thank you card with Another donation.

We survived another Halloween - with minimal aggravation and actually had a great time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is Bigfoot Real or phony? For more than four hundred a long time, there have been reporting’s of a guy like monster that is definitely totally coated in hair.
[url=http://www.is-bigfoot-real.com/]bigfoot videos[/url]