Sunday, October 05, 2008

Capital Book Festival

I had the time of my life this Saturday.

As some of you know, I contributed a letter to the Capital Book Festival's annual anthology - this year entitled How We Love: Letters. I read my letter in Borders at 12:35 pm before a sizable audience and for the first time felt like...an author.

The Capital Book Festival was well done, just a phenomenal experience, actually. Nikki Giovanni spoke. Tananarive Due participated on a panel and signed, along with numerous well respected authors. Donna Hill was there, Wendy Coakley Thompson, Collette Haywood, Breena Clark, Tina McElroy Ansa etc... I got a chance to meet and talk to so many authors whose work I have admired for so long.

The book festival is organized by Kwame Alexander, a respected poet who has the captivating Zhupendra line consisting of breathtaking pieces. While I listened to Tananarive Due and Christopher Chambers speak, my daughter was volunteering in a bubble blowing contest with Author Uncle E, author of the Diggle, Boogie and Lolo kids series. And although I missed her reading (because mine was at the same time) my fellow Hamptonite Sahar Simmons read her wonderful children's story "Briana's Neighborhood" at the Kids Zone.

What I learned:

1. There are some BEAUTIFUL BLACK FOLKS in PG COUNTY. I still love it here.

2. Grace: When I rushed to meet Tananarive Due she did not hide from me, like someone fleeing a pathetic fan, instead she greeted me with a pleasant smile and an open spirit. Such a wonderful experience. Please know that I will purchase everyone of her books from now until...Also, and more importantly, she didn't even flinch when I erroneously stated the title of her compilation with Blair Underwood - Its "In the Night of the Heat" and, of course, I stupidly said, "In the Heat of the Night." An error that I realized later. But she never even blinked. So much grace.

3. Professionalism: Folks were on their A-game. Authors, self published or not, presented professional, eye catching, engaging product. The children's authors came "for real." Sahar, Uncle E, Charisse Carney Nunes - they were engaging and fun and exciting. I had to DRAG my daughter from the Kids Zone to hear me speak, she had no intention on missing Ms. Nunes set (we own her "Hair" book). Under the tent, folks were networking and selling and promoting and giving advice like you wouldn't believe. Just a very positive vibe.

4. Making it work: The festival slated Donna Hill, Wendy Coakley Thompson and Collette Haywood opposite Nikki Giovanni. Those ladies just rolled with the punches, continuing the panel, recognizing that a small audience is still a purchasing audience who wants to hear what they have to say. Similarly, some people went over time while others didn't show, but the programs ran smoothly. Omarosa debuted her upcoming book and she brought folks in with her charm and personality, starting with a small audience to a packed tent. Making it work. It was an honor to watch.

5. Next year, I want to be in the mix with my product in hand.

2 comments:

Yasmin said...

Arggh I hate I missed this one...this is the event I wanted to attend! Keep me posted for next year...sounds like there was a good line up!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a great experience! I'm sorry I couldn't be there. But I had a meeting in Charlottesville on Saturday. Keep me posted on future events!