Thursday, February 01, 2007

Erotic Literature or Smut

Question to pose for you ....What is the thought on erotic writing? Let me restate, not the general thought, but your personal thought. I wasn't interested in writing it, although some of my poems come very close. For those of you that have Russ Parr, I simply didn't want to ever author the - I went into a grocery store, the clerk asked me to come out back for a crate of grapes and....boom boom bang bang.

I mean whats the point of that, right. Its not like you get respect as a writer, cause anyone can do that. And it might lesson the general perception of the writer, right? But, whenever you go into the bookstore, these books are selling. And not all erotica is just Spice on paper. I remember this anthology I bought years ago, compiled by Terry McMillian - the Zane of the early 90's, believe it or not (in popularity only- so please don't make a judgement call about that statement) and it was erotic but still literature. I still have it somewhere. I just impressed me. She also tucked in erotic poetry. Awesome.

So, I have an erotic short story. I drafted and submitted it for publishing. Got the word today that it has been accepted into the anthology. Don't know though, what are the ramifications. What will the effect be. Will I lose readers who are already pushing it by reading my poems and can't stomach more. Should I distance myself with a pen name?

Let me know what you think- please!!

2 comments:

chrisd said...

Hi my name is Chris and I'm part of the Lost Genre Guild, although I'm pretty sure we haven't "met."

Hmmmm Erotic Literature

That's even more controversial than Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Yet, what about Song of Solomon?

So my answer is I have no answer. Still thinking about it, now and then.

And I also think that white Christians have more of a problem with it than African American Christians.

What do you think about that statement? ???

BTW, nice to meet you!

a.Kai said...

Hi Chris - thank you for commenting and welcome to my alter ego. A very personal struglle, writing my Christian fantasy fiction, or drafting from a different darker place. You raise a very interesting point, I have pondered this for a while. My church is very strict biblical application, answering my own question, under no circumstances is erotic writing acceptable.
At first glance it seems that African American Christians are more liberal, but I think that is a misperception. THe older Black church is still severly strict and rigid-one of the ways Republicans were able to lure the Black Christian vote on toward Bush on the homosexual marriage "issue." The younger ministries that are now receiving more exposure and seem to have a more wordly approach, but I promise you even they would draw the line at what I am proposing here!! This is really a personal conflict, and I already know the proper anser. Idon't wnat to do anything that will harm the reputation of the chistian fiction I have drafted and am so proud of and hope to release soon...