Sunday, January 28, 2007

Tidbit, Oprah, Ghetto Soul

Took a bit of a break this week - works has me overloaded. I needed to catch up on sleep but realize that it is simply impossible. So much has happened and yet I still feel the same. I am behind in every aspect of my writing - my self imposed deadlines are being destroyed, mangle and distorted daily. I got to pull this thing in, gain some control.

I have to update Stream in the Desert and this journal more than weekly - I used to get it done, but now 3 am writes are impossible. My body has had enough. I am going to find an alternative solution - even if I have to walk around with a lap top. I have so many ideas that escape me every day, just because I didn't get a chance to capture them. Which reminds me, I have a new blog up for just those situation s- possible story lines that I normally don't capture . I am posting them at Story Developments , lettin them stew, see if anyone thinks there interesting, whether I should keep going with the particular story.

SO much has happened this week. Watched Serena - so proud of her - locking down the Australian Open.

Ghetto Soul is back in effect - the holidays seemed to almost wipe it out. Very happy to vibe over there. Had a great poem, tried to remember it because my pen dried up, and forgot it as soon as I sat at the computer. Watched Aretha's tribute on BET - fell asleep. Nuff said, I don't want to start rantin about my disappointment in BET. Why didn't someone tell Aretha about that dress?

Oh - my TV highlight of the week was watching Oprah's roots on PBS. They traced back her heritage, and it was a phenomenal, breathtaking experience. SO touching. So amazing that they could go prior to the Civil War and find something. I was enthralled until Oprah managed to ruin it. The Genealogist announced that they traced her roots all the way back to Africa. He wanted her to guess what her tribe was. And she said......."Zulu- I really have always believed I am Zulu." Ok people, now, I was pretty sure she was kiddin, I even chuckled-yeah we all heard the Zulu warrior thing in the 80 empowerment movement. So, when he announced that NO African American Slaves came from South Africa she was so disappointed that she couldn't even pull it together. Sista had to take a moment to swallow that. I still thought she was jokin, until I realized that whole tone and vibe had changed. After the genealogist told her everything most of us would love to know, she started operating in rote Oprah mode, no pure emotion. And the brotha later apologized for having had to tell her she wasn't Zulu.

Ya'll I don't even know where to begin on that one. How could Oprah have really thought she was Zulu, knowin her folks on both sides had been slaves. Uhm, haven't we established that Shaka Zulu wasn't tolerating slavery. Wouldn't that summarily eliminate the possiblity that she was Zulu. Furthermore, with MAya ANgelo and other great black writers who have lived in Africa as her best friends, no one clued her in on the fact that slavery occured along Africa's western borders. All that money and girlfriend hasn't been to the Ivory Coast. Then, how is she disapointed? Western Africa contained some dynamic dynasties, particularly the region they believe she descended from, current day Liberia. Is htat the reason for the school there instead of here or West Africa? Now, I am not criticizing where she plants her money, and I am glad those young ladies are getting the opportunity, I just wonder....I had no words....It was one of those times when I was astounded by sista girlfriend...

Alright - so I am going to get back to posting on the regular...thanks for hangin in there with me. If you can, catch Oprah's heritage special, other than her Zulu snafu and subsequent deflating, it is phenomenal. Check out my other sites - let me know what you think. keep me posted on your projects...
Peace
a.Kai

1 comment:

PatriciaW said...

Don't despair about your deadlines being all twisted. Happens to us all. My muse went for a walk...and never came back. That was early December. It's been rough! Just pick up where you can when you can and do what you can.

I enjoyed Aretha's tribute but then again I'm a bit older than you so all those older stars were working for me. And some of the younger ones, like the Velvet Teddy Bear, Reuben Studdard. I could have done without Josh Stone (does she ever wear shoes?) and all those other stars with no relation or relationship to Aretha who gushed over her because they were told to. And the dress??? Well, let's just say that was classic Aretha. She has a history of wearing stuff that a less sane woman wouldn't be caught dead in. She has absolutely no regard for her body shape or size. If they ever do a celebrity What Not To Wear, I think she'd be a prime candidate.

Oprah, Oprah, Oprah. My girl is slipping. First it's the whole "American children don't want to learn" thing. Now it's the "are you sure I'm not Zulu?" thing. She really must get her feet back on the ground. I'm not hatin' on her--I really do love the Big O--but don't tell me her money isn't getting to her head.