Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Aretha?

Is Aretha Franklin serious. Now, I am hoping that gossip radio misquoted her, but apparently she was not pleased with the suggestion that Jennifer Hudson play her in an upcoming film of her life. Who does she want to represent her? Halle Berry. Seriously.

Now if that is tru, it is proof that Michael Jackson is not the only one slightly removed from reality. Why would Aretha be offended at the thought of a thick sister, a chocolate woman playing her and, instead want Halle. I am not really a Jennifer Hudson fan, but I understand why folks would think of her. Do you think of Aretha when you see Halle. Now, lets be fair, I didn't see Denzel and Malcolm until the movie. ANd her rocked it. I didn't see Lynn Whitfield as Josephine. But she rocked it.

I guess, on some level, we have all noticed that Aretha has a bit of a swollen ego. I have noticed her treat people very poorly. She takes diva to another level. And noone has told her that she is the size of a mini 18 wheeler. But does she really see herself as Halle. And if so, what soes that say about her idead of self beauty, of self acceptance, of self love. Maybe I am reaching but....the radio host made a great analogy - asking Halle to play Aretha is like aksing Eminiem to play Christopher Wallace (Biggie). It just don't work.

And, my big entertainment snafu of the week. Was 50 cent serious when he challenged Kanye. I get the concept. He is a real rapper, Kanye - not so much. So yes, hip hop purists will support him over Kanye. But how many hip hop purists are there really. And who it the buying market. White teens. KAny is a safer bet for a parent, a well respected musician, easy music. A rapper - well, I think one of his lyrics in "Wait Till I Get My Money Right" answeres that. Something about "using collagen, ....have you apologen." Uh, no! But 50 - what are thinking.

So, will this be another retired but back JayZ move. And can we ever say what we mean and mean what we say. I don't want to 50 go though, not because I am a huge fan, or a fan at all, but because without him we might be subjected to Ja Rules singing again...

3 comments:

PatriciaW said...

Aretha is known be demanding but she may have other reasons for not wanting Ms. Hudson. Did she say she wanted Halle Berry or some other svelte actress?

I'm guessing she wants the person she thinks will best fit the role. It will also depend on what portion of her life they're playing. She's never been a stick but she used to be pretty thin in her early days. I think she (because I hear she's very active in the casting) should go with someone unknown but who has the vocal chops to pull it off.

Anonymous said...

Girl, Aretha is on some good stuff! Halle Berry? Even in her "lean years", she wasn't a Halle Berry type. Not that she has to pick J. Hudson, but c'mon!!! Oh well. Too each his own. I'm gonna call Jennifer Lopez tomorrow to see if she's free to play me in my biopic. HAHAH!! :)

a.Kai said...

Risa - you are hilarious...yeah, Im thinkin Anjelina is the only one that could capture me well on screen (LOL)