Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Media Happenings

So - Michael Baisden is on a roll. He is experiencing that high that one gets after a planned event goes well, and you just want to keep hosting functions. I am impressed with what he did for Jena 6, it is wonderful to see a real grass roots movement, not spearheaded by the usuals whose issues I don't quite agree with but feel obligated to support. It feels so stale, following behind the regulars. So I felt encouraged that Michael was able to bring together so many people to at least bring attention to the issue, no matter what site one is on.

Well, today, he took on a new issue: Bill O'Reilly. Apparently Bill met Al Sharpton for lunch at Sylvia's, the soul food restaurant in Harlem. Bill made comments to the effect that "black people are beginning to think for themselves, people were sitting quietly, ordering, and noone was yelling mother f..." In other words, he was impressed that he didn't witness black folks acting a fool in the restaurant. Kindof an inverted compliment? So anyway, Michael asked his listeners to call Fox an invite Bill O'Reilly to come onto the Michael Baisden show. hilarious. At last listen, the Fox operators were answering the phone and simply hanging up. So, I am going to tune in to hear the outcome.

Also, I watched the Little Rock 9 HBO show tonight. SOOOOOOOO depressing. It is so easy to forget life outside of the Beltway, how the rest of the world lives. They featured a sophomore mother of two. Another little girl, no kids and honor student, trying hard, but her living conditions were: sad. I spent every summer of my preteen life in Little Rock, the stories and the living only showed one side, of course, but it was real. real. real.

Did anyone see the BET hip hop vs. america show. I can't get over my anti BET sentiment enough to watch it (unless, of course, its Lil Kim: Countdown to Lockdown), but if you saw it, let me know your thoughts....

1 comment:

Celebhaterz.blogspot.com said...

I didnt get to see HIP HOP vs America but I did hear about bill oreilly saying that ignorant mess about Sylvias rest. after attending with Al Sharpton, FOX NEWS ratings went down 27% the day after he said that, and they continue to decline. I love statistics, come to my page