Saturday, July 05, 2008

Ashanti and Singing?

Can Ashanti really sing? I know, your first thought is who cares. Just like me, whenever her name comes up, I draw a blank. Thank God the days of listening to her and Ja Rule damage the air waves are threw. The whole creation and success of "Murder Inc." made me ill. Call me a "hater" if you'd like, but I just thought they were the clear representation that the music industry no longer cares about talent or hard ambition - all you need to be is a drug dealer with an in.

Ashanti's particular rise to stardom was disturbing because ...well..she couldn't sing. At all. It was like listening to Britanny(sp?) minus the ability to dance. Doesn't that leave you with nothing? Pretty girl, yes. But so are a million others who can actually hold a note. But here is why she really irked me - Christina Millian - exDisney star- had a contract with Def Jam. She released a very cute song for teenage girls (something like from sundown to sun up or something). Video was appropo. Then she made the fatal mistake that changed music for the next 5 years. She did a duet with Ja Rule. And it was a tremendous hit, his first huge hit actually. So, what did Def Jam do? Entered into a contract with Murder Inc (which I think it was a subsidiary, not a joint venture) and gave Ja Rule and Irv Gotti (what a foolish thing to name yourself. Try reading some history books, jerk) full cache to what ever they wanted. And they happened to have Ashanti in their camp - (who, we later found out, was having an affair with Irv Gotti, although she was a baby).

Long story short. Def Jam dropped Christina. Murder Inc replicated Christina's sound with a lighter watered down version, Ashanti, put over the old Biggie "One More Chance" beat. And voila'!! A manufactured hit. Containing an infintessimal amount of talent. And they kept coming, duet after duet, sing song after singsong making me finally turn away from "urban radio" and look away in embarassment at award show after award show. When the Grammy's bowed down and awarded the nonsense, I felt sorry for every true musician out there.

And then - between 50 Cents and NY District Attorney's office, they were able to obliterate the choke hold Murder Inc had on the music industry. And after regurgitating years of nonsense, true musicians were once again given a platform...

So, I say all of this to say, that I haven't missed Ashanti. About a 3 months ago, this wonderful song began playing on the ready. "The Way That I Love You." It starts out with a beautiful piano run tha treminds me of a waterfall and then a girl soulfully singing about being replaced by the man she loves. I loved it immediately. My husband and I agreed it was a hit, wondered who the girl was. A new Mary J? Another soulful Kisha Cole? Maybe Sunshine Anderson was getting another chance.

The more I heard the song, the more I loved it. I had to find out who it was. Today, as I was driving to work (on a Saturday - don't ask) Big Tigger played it. I was jammin, muisic loud and singing hard and then he announced that it was Ashanti's latest hit.

Huh?

Wait...Huh?

I wanted to hate the song, but I have spent months trying to find the singer. Now, I find it impossible to reconciliate my intense dislike of her music with this song that I love. Could it be that she actually could sing all along? Was she another Murder Inc victim (like Charlie Baltimore and Veda - geesh, Murder Inc was the worse), just doing what she was told to be in the spotlight?

I don't know. This is all the time I have allotted to this particular issue. Because she is still very low on my totem pole (would much rather talk about Hancock, uhhh Will smith, some more). But, I have to admit, I found myself amazed today, that a singer I despised for so long was unknowingly able to turn me into a fan...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like the song you should check out her cd, it's good and Irv and the Inc had nothing to do with it.

She could always sing but Irv perferred her doing the light whispering singing.

Is she Aretha or Patti..no!

But her voice is nice and she writes all her songs.

a.Kai said...

will do - still luv the song and her new image and have a different type of appreciation for her now that she is no longer associated with the Inc.

Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Perfect!Great! This helped so much! I've read a few
rather confusing blogs lately, this cleared up some confusion I had.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This helped so much! I've read a couple
rather confusing websites lately, this cleared up a lot confusion I had.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This helped a bunch! I've read several
rather confusing sites lately, this cleared up some confusion I had.