Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Senior Summer

DO you remember the summer after you graduated from highschool? My son's friends are movin on this year and, in the course of talkin to them, I remembered my senior summer. Summer of first intimacy, house parties, boyfriends, freedom, soon to be luv, straight up lust, dj's and b-boys....It was incredible. Back when movies reflected life, instead of defining it, we had house parties every weekend. EVERY WEEKEND. so funny to watch house party the movie, cuz that was our summer, although we were house partying way before those movies came out.

Anyway, my boyfriend was the DJ. A coupla folks would get together 3-400 dollars, push all the couches against the wall, move tables to the basement, make sure the folks was somewhere else, and it was on. I mean ON. Dancing in the living room and dining room like we were in a club. Dancing in front of the DJ table to try to catch my man's eye. Dancing with other guys - to try to catch my man's eye. (smile) Flirting fun.

I think it was my first summer of self acceptance, of releasing fear and just enjoying the moment. I knew my friends and I would never be together like that again. Instinctively, I knew that it was the last time we could live it up like that. And I beat the sadness down until well into college, when I could no longer deny that life changes, whether you want it to or not. And life long friends from elementary school were no longer my social anchor.

A summer of sexual exploration too. Oh well, I might as well be honest, damnit. Mind you, it was still the 90's, so we were not freakin like these lil mamma's now adays. Some stuff still was off limits. But kissing in the rain, driving to the park, holding hands, slow grindin and deep intimacy - it was the first summer of all that. Funny now, how innocent it all was. I felt so guilty at the time, in and out of church, trying to pray through guilt, cuz I wasn't giving it up (smile). Now, lookin back, it was the most natural thing in the world, the sweetest love, the purest intimacies.

What a summer....

1 comment:

Shai said...

I feel ya. I am about blow my wig at the thought of my daughter's senior summer is next year. Geez. LOL.