Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Harry Potter -

I want to say to J. K. Rowling that the pleasure has been all mine. The introduction, the glimpse into the development of Harry, of the Wizarding world, were all my pleasure. And it is with many thanks that I depart from the Harry tale and move forward into creating fantasy worlds of my own.

Explaining the appeal or magnetism of Harry Potter is rather impossible. Under no circumstances should a little rich boy orphan tie into anything recognizable in my world. But Ms. Rowling creates a universe in which she fully examines the themes of love, sacrifice, loyalty, bravery, intelligence, learning - purely for the sake of and not for cash, supporting, friendship. And in so doing, she creates a rare dichotomy of adventure within a purly humanistic story. The evil that Harry, the Order, Professor McDonogol (my favorite) and the Hogwarts staff and students, fight is all consuming, overwhelming and without fail. She recreates the environment of World War II Nazi, the helpless inhuman cruelty of slavery, the unbelievalbe infallible righteousness of evil murders, the sloven worship of the sinister becuase of misplaced loyalty and no self esteem. Rowlings takes apart each one of this, examines it, puts it to the fire, rubs it until it sparkles, then sets it into a framework in which you can easily absorb it.

Most fascinating, however, is Ms. Rowlings decision to give us an actual ending. Not a drawn out collision, or failure to address so many issues, as most series, HP 7 finally answers all of the questions, in complete and full detail. Leaving the journey well worth the wait.

As I finished devouring Book 7 - sadly, it took my two days, it occurred to me that I have just experienced a rare thing. It is once in a century that a classic is born, a timeless tale that will be passed down through the ages. And I was alive during this one, I was allowed to share in its anticipation and reading, in understanding the development of a character soon after it was written, in waiting for its first release to the masses. Therefore, I thank you , Ms. rowling but, I must insist, the pleaure has been all mine.

2 comments:

PatriciaW said...

I have to agree with you. I'm reading Book 7 now and somewhere along the way, I too decided this was a once in a lifetime phenomenon, that it was something not to be missed. And I'm grateful I've been a long for the ride.

a.Kai said...

great minds think alike! Seriously, I think she is a phenomenal writer for 1 simple reader: she knew what the reader wanted and she granted it - without losing or killing the suspense of the book. You'll see what I mean when you finish it....let me know what you think!!