Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Traveling

We did some serious traveling over the past few days. I am actually exhausted - but i couldn't wait to get back to my lap top and capture the smallest details.

Desitination 1: Chicago. Well, not quite. We actually went to Evanston Ill, via Chicago, to visit Northwestern University. Now, football is opening doors and opportunities for my son that I never guessed, but I actually felt honored that Northwestern is interested. What a BEAUTIFUL campus. It is stunning. And, there is a beach on the edge of campus. Not just a waterfront - I can feel my Hampton folks ready to defend - but this is beach for real! Who woulda thunk it. Right there in Illinois.

We stayed the night in downtown Evanston (a block from campus). The plan was to take a nap then go to Chicago and visit China Town, Nike Town, and a number of other places. We all passed out. I woke up at 9, my girls were still snoring. I had promised them the pool, so I woke them so they could get in an hour or so of splashing fun.

Destination 2: Eastern Michigan U. Which was located in Ypsialnti Michigan. Nuff said.

Destination 3: Detroit. Lee Family Reunion. Over 100 folks made it this years, from everywhere - little rock, kansas city (huge amount of family there), houston, new york, california, ohio, etc... I wasn't sure we were going to make it, and I hadn't paid my reunion dues, but I am so glad we caught the tail end. Whenever I see my family I am overwhelmed that I am part of such a tremendous group of people. It was a blessing.

Destination 4: Lousiville. But on the way, we stopped at Bowling Green University in Ohio. Very nice. Lousiville. Fantastic campus and facilities. Do you know the dorm has a pool and grill for the students. It was unbelievable. But, we also went to the Muhammad Ali museum. My son is in one of the movies that plays through the museum. What a phenomenal place, what a unique experience. What a blessing! I am telling you, there is nothing more touching than this museum. The extended it past his life and used his life as the focal point for all the change and societal shifts that were occurring. This museum is an in depth study into African American life past and present. Martin and Malcolm and so many others are a very real part of this museum. It was a phenomenal experience. The staff recognized my son and took pictures and his info. It was a blessing

Final Destination: Lexington. visited UK. Very nice. But I was tired and had a stomachache by then.

3 comments:

PatriciaW said...

Sounds as though your son is going to land somewhere in the Midwest. Great schools and beautiful campuses.

Get some rest.

Shai said...

You were in the D? Maybe next time you are here, we can meet up.

a.Kai said...

Patricia - I woulda never thought it, but the midwest is opening doors for him. I was amazed by the schools.

Shai - WHAT WAS I THINKING. Of course I should have sent you an email - my family reunion was hosted in the Omni Waterfront hotel, near downtown (my cousin on of the managers!) next time we have to hook up.