Monday, December 17, 2007

I Am Legend

Will Smith just blew me away. Literally. He is on the next level of acting, of presenting...I can't explain it. I loved I Am Legend. First off, I am a sci fi head, so this type of movie is right up my alley. Secondly, it is based on a premise that is plausible. A scientist cures cancer, but the cure causes a mutated virus. Of course. Killing off 99% of the population. Of the 1% left alive, only 1% is immune, the rest become this rabid, cannibalized version of humans, feeding off of the immune and everything else. Will is trying to find a cure, constructing for himself a daily routine to keep his sanity (he hasn't seen a another normal human in years) and remain hidden from the mutants who overtake the city at night.

The movie drew me in. The complete normalness of his day against the stark emptiness of Manhattan was stunning. Few actors can carry a movie without much dialogue. I think it is narrowed down to Jodie Foster and Tom Hanks to be exact. But Will did it. In rare, touching form. I haven't been this consumed by a flick and all the questions it raises, since the original Matrix, which was initially offered to Will (instead of Keanu) and he turned it down to do that Western Flick (i can't think of the name)- proof that he is not perfect. Unlike that body of his which filled the screen nicely, during a workout/pull up scene for a beautiful full minute.

But anyway, I applaud him for this film. Sally Richardson plays his wife, his beautiful daughter Willow plays, uh, his daughter. But the film is so good you can even forgive the blatant nepotism.

I heard people complaining that they wanted a little more action although everyone is unanimous that Will blew it away with his acting. But I loved the simplicity of the scenes, underscored by the pure terror of trying to survive day in and day out. I am going to buy the book immediately.

No comments: