Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Rough Day

Today has been a rough day. Not the entire day, just dealing with my family. I was chillin until I came home and my middle daughter decided to just be miserable. Of course ballet lessons were tonight. My day care provider helped her get dressed, so she had to endure the pouting and whining too. But then I got more aggravated because she commented on my daughters size.

Now, let me first say, she is a solid child - believe me. But really, she should have just left her alone if she didn't have anything positive to say. Bringing me to a huge pet peeve of mine, folks and their "chubby" comments to my baby girl. WTF? If you gonna grunt whenever you pick her up or talk about what a big girl she is when you touch her, then just leave her the f... alone. Do you think she isn't aware of her size? Do you think we don't struggle to make sure her confidence isn't undermined on a daily basis by people and their careless little remarks. And, the adults commenting, ARENT IN SHAPE THEMSELVES. I would be wrong, right, to turn around and point at their little baby bump, ooops I mean GUT, and ask how they got so big, right?

Listen, we all see that she is thick. She doesn't overeat, she doesn't eat anymore than anyone in my house, and my other children are all underweight. We had her tested, repeatedly, watch her diet, she takes swim, dance and tennis. But, we found the answer to the weight question back in August. Simply put, she is her father's twin. Exact same body type. When he hit puberty, it simply stretched out. She has a cousin who was just like her too, when she hit puberty, perfect shape.

In the meantime, she is a little girl. Which means she internalizes other peoples comments. So, I am pissed off about it. Again. My day care provider is not the first, and she certainly didn't mean anything by it. But its hard to swallow when I know the baggage it can leave.

Then, my son is actually protesting running track. At this point, given the Christmas and the innumerable sacrifices made on his behalf for both his academic and athletic success, I shouldn't have to ask anything twice. It is mind boggling. And disrespectful. I told him to run track. he went through the list of why he doesn't want to. In the meantime, is he working out on his own? Uhmmmm, lets see. No. Is he in the running for several D! football scholarship. Yep. Can talent alone carry him at the next level, probably not. Yet, while he chills with a 400 phone on his hip, driving my car and enjoying the privileged life, he has the nerve to respond in a delayed manner when i tell him to do something. Talking about he will start SOMETIME next week. Lord have mercy on me. I am ready go through the roof.

Then, my baby grl has decided that nighttime is play time. Anything not to sleep. So, several minutes ago, she and her brother were crying like you wouldn't believe. Screaming, jumping up and down in the bed, miserable. I went running up there to discover another child out of bed (entirely different story), and the twins screaming over nothing. Turns out Miss Princess wanted her play cell phone. All of her noise was irritating her brother. So of course, he joined in the screaming to shut her up. Oh God, please give me strength....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl, this breaks my heart. Tell them folks to leave my godchild ALONE! She's beautiful! Always has been . . . always will be.

And sorry you had such a rough day.