Monday, June 09, 2008

Fulfilled

Talk about a whirlwind three days! My son graduated from St Johns College Prepatory High School in Washington DC on Friday, June 6, 2008. I had to type it out that out, just to chew on an unbelievable accomplishment.

My son was not academically inspired. That is to say, he can do whatever he put his mind to, but so often academics wasn't it. He was bored for a long period of time and the teaching metods used didn't really inspire him. He had a burning love though - sports. So the deal was utilize a modicum of his intellectual talent in the classroom and he would be allowed to participate in sports.

By middle school, sports was no longer an option, it was a requirement. It was the balancing act, the equilibrium to the ho hum environment in school. He played the saxophone, performed in both short films and commercials, participated in numerous sports outside the staple football and basketball, science and math clubs, etc... We kept him busy, to say the least. And it wasn't easy - sometimes it was downright painful.

But we never gave.

Friday a 6'2" 195 lb man walked up on the podium when they said "Gerald Moore." For a split second, I didn't recognize him. I still see this child that I fell in love with, this adorable creature who God had blessed with something special. When they called his name I had to tuck that babyb oy into my heart and accept the grown man before my eyes - who is confident, accomplished and prepared. I fought back tears because I always knew this day would come, but never quite believed it would just land on top of me like it did. That this leg of our journey would end so suddenly. That the vow I made to God to raise this boy and love him as protectively and as fearlessly as He told me to do would be fulfilled.

I am fulfilled.

Thank You God Almighty, for blessing me with your precious seed. For allowing me the opportunity to stand in the gap, to learn how to love, to learn how to parent and to selflessly give. Thank You Father for showing me that his achievement is worth every bit of sacrifice, that each inspired word of love came from You, that Your prophetic visions kept me pushing forward and moving him toward where You would have him to be. Thank You and for allowing him to forgive any misstep or harsh word I spoke while trying to discipline him and navigate him through this booby trapped life. Forgive me Lord for those times I lost faith, through up an exasperated hand, ignorantly swore that I was on my last leg. You fed my spirit, Father, counselled me and demanded I return to what you had called me to complete. It is an amazing thing, God, to seed Your child become a health person, a strong individual, a calm spirit, a true believer and follower of Your principles. It is only by your simple Grace that I was allow to see such a miracle, be part of such a miracle, ejoice in such a miracle - and I thank you, Heavenly Father, I thank you with everything that I am or ever will be...

No comments: