Monday, March 10, 2008

Creation

I thought I would share what goes on in the mind of an author - or in my mind at least. During the day, I dummy down, focus on whatever "the man" (really meaning the system) needs me to do to be a productive citizen. I don't mind, I enjoy my job, I am beginning to see my career blossom. But, every now and then, in brief sessions of downtime, a characters conversation will play out in my mind, or an interaction. Like watching a movie really. I can't lay claim to most of my fiction, the characters play themselves out before me.

After the evening whirlwind of homework, piano practice/lessons (I am teaching it right now, ballet and tap, tennis, and whatever else our crew is into, then I began to put everyone to bed. Now during this process, I enjoy my little ones, but,I began to look forward to stealing minuets at my computer and fleshing out the story. It's like anticipation that forbidden long awaited bowl of ice cream. Not outright excitement, but a content satisfaciton feeling.

Now sometimes a story or, more likely, a poem will only ive me a brief moment to capture it. Tha tis, the first lines will appear to me and if I don't type them or write them down, their gone. Like today, I got locked out the house and as I waited in the back the following lines formed: Your love, so lush, dribbling, soft, plump, and overripened fruit, waiting...But, while I was waiting for the next lines to po in my head, I was distracted by a cat that perched itself in the middle of my yard and looked at me anxiously, as if I had invaded his territory. My mind switched to the cat, I started thinking about the scene from Fallen the movie, and forgot the rest of the poem.

But anyway, I feel tht calm type of thrill and I sit down and type out what is playing in my mind. Now, I don't see characters. Which means I cannot tell you , really, facial features. I know them from the inside out, how they think, how they respond. And that's where I write from. So you will get a lot less about there wardrobe from me (cause most times I can't see it anyway) and much more about whats in their heart.

For example, I have this erotic story playing around my mind. Its been lingering for the past two days, so I need to jot it down. A man and a woman are in a sandwich shop. They are friends, but he is discussing the lack of passion he feels with his wife. She laments about the overpassionate, but connected on no other level, relationship she is in. And so the story plays form there.

So, that is how most of my stories are created....

No comments: