Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Im in Essence

I sat in the hair salon, I was maybe 11 or 12. And I stared at the mountain of hair books around me. Picking over the standard compilations of angular cuts and hair art, I opted for the Essence Magazine. The magazine fell to Terry McMillans Disappearing Acts excerpt. Within seconds, I was sucked in, transfixed, at awe by this glimpse into a novel.

I always wanted to have that same effect on someone. To have someone sitting in the hairshop, or doctors or dentist, thumbing through and, sighing, stop to glance at my work. And, in moments, be sucked in to the emotion of my write, such that they remember it long after they put down the magazine.

Now, I don't know whether I accomplished that - but I have met the part of my goal I could somewhat control - I have been published in Essence. In the upcoming April 2008 Issue of Essence Magazine, in the WORD section, my poem PreDestiny graces the page. What an overwhelming, defining, exhilarating experience. My work has been published before, but not in a forum that has been a part of my life since child hood, that defines the African American experience and growth.

SO I am thrilled and honored to be in Essence. I have to thank fellow poet and wonderful writer Shai for advising me. Pick it up, check out the poem, and tell me what you think.....

4 comments:

Shai said...

Congrats again. Thanks. You deserved the publication. You are an awesome artist.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

a.Kai said...

Thank you sis!!! Don't you know, I didn't even know I was in the magazine, until I saw your comment!!!LOL.

Shai said...

LOL. I know. I found out my poem was in Essence when I opened it up. I was screaming that's me. I cried like crazy.

It is an honor. I am glad you got in. Now if they only published the Word section more frequently. It had been a while since there was poetry in Essence.

I have not tried to get in for awhile. I will be trying soon.

Oh, yeah a fellow poet Marcus Harris was in Essence along with you. He was in last year too.