Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Club

I just had to share this - do you remember going out and purposely breaking curfew because whatever you had gotten into was worth the punishment you were sure to get at home. Well my son is having one of those moments, right now, as I type this. The problem he has is he cant even begin to do the amount of dirt i did at his age and therefore cannot outsmart me in these things...

So, tonight was his first real club night. Unfortunately, DC allows them in young - 18 (although they are not allowed to drink). So his friends have found a way to get into Love (aka Dream) for next to free by going at the crack of dawn (club hours), which is about 7 pm. I guess they let the L 7's (form the L with your left and the 7 with your right and bring it together and you'll get it) young folks in early as "fillers" so the club doesn't look empty when the grown folks get there. Now I call them L7's affectionately - while cool amongst there friend, they are certainly "square" to the DC party scene (ooops, I gave it away - L& is square). I can imagine them walking around the club trying to get the nerve to holler at grown woman....so funny.

BTW- this whole club thing required I have the "grown woman/young boy" talk with my son tonight to. Had to inform him so he wouldn't get his mind blown away by some young woman lookin to turn my child out.

Anyway - back to the point - curfew was 2. Did i hear from him at 2, 2:10? No. At 2:20 I called the friends cell phone too, hoping he would be embarassed enough to call. After all this is DC, folks, I need to know the boy is alrite. So I was just trying to get him to call, but of course I was going to give him an earful about being late. NOONE answered there phones which is a clear sign that they are all standing together, looking at there phones, shaking their head like - ain't no way I am answering this call.

So, what did I do. A text message to my son stating:
What you don't want is 4 me 2 leave this house 2 come lookin 4 u. U hav 5 min 2 call me back

Wouldn't you know it, a minute later I got a text message from my son, explaining that his friend had his cell phone (a lie) and had run across the club to find him so that he could respond (another lie). But, he was ok, and that was the real reason for the messages anyway. He has no clue how many angels have saved him - tonight, blogging while trying to reach him reminded me of words of wisdom bestowed upon me by fellow blogger and mother of "boys to men" Patricia. Her patience and understanding of his need to expand his horizons and express himself right now kept me from storming up to the club in sweatpants and tshirt (im capable of it) or ruining his night with punishment. Instead, I just let it ride....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not looking forward to those nights :-) but we did it to our parents. So, it has to come back full circle.

Yantise