Wednesday, January 10, 2007

30's the new 20?

So, I was cruisin home tonight, in this metro area traffic hell, with the music pumpin so the bass was rattlin in my stomach. Arms up, dancing in my seat, practicing my belly dancing class hip shakes at every light. Havin a little party, yall. Love the early 30's. Love that the confusion of the 20's has finally settled. Love that a new peace comes with the maturity. Love that I know how to release, let go, not give a daxx!! Love that I am apart of that newly 30, educated, makin a little sumpin, livin a little sumpin, lookin like a little sumpin crowd.

So, while I was shakin it and partyin Jay-z's "30 is the new 20's" start playin. At first, as usual, I turned it up, repeated the words by rote memory. But then, I really started listening and it got me to thinkin, is 30's the new 20's for most of our brothas, or just Jigga. I mean, since every other lyric is all about what he got (which is how you know he wrote the latest mess B is screamin - oops I meant singing - although I love her Upgrade Ya is 100% Jigga), which may not have started the materialism, but damx sure didn't help, what is different about 30's and the 20's?BTW- Its kinda unfair, isn't it, for him to mature now and then look back at all the trends and lifestyles he perpetuated and laugh at how ignorant it is. I mean, you were the main one who started the cigar nonesense...

While I am glad to hear a song about maturin and changin, cause he nailed that part of it down, I do have one other bone to pick with him: at the end of the day the only mention of a significant other is something like "Your Chic shoppin at the mall, my Chic shopping at Bergdorffs"

Ahhh, let me have a little moment hear. Son, Mr Jay to the Izzo, if every part of you has matured, no longer wearing those baggy pants, or puttin the tint on the hooptie and rims on the ride, then why are you still callin the female in your life a Chic. Have you figured out everything else, except how to pare yourself with a WOMAN! Yes, She's a WOMAN. Like the good pastor always says, there is power in the name. She is not a chic, a girl, or anything less that a Woman, if she is with you while you are teaching us the glory of finally being a man! So, can you use some of that newly found wisdom and start that new trend that will stun hip hop - instead of Beating the Block (a huh, i peeped that) why not hold your woman out as your queen. Shock the hell outta the culture.

But I digress, other than my little "chic" peeve, I had to say that I so, so love this age and stage of life. Anyone out there understand? what do yall think - is 30's the new 20?

1 comment:

PatriciaW said...

Glad you're maxin' and relaxin' in your 30s. Didn't start happening for me until my 40s. LOL! But it's all good. The point is getting there, isn't it?

BTW, don't let Jigga fool ya! He's closer to 40 than 30, and having dollar bills doesn't make you mature, so he needs to keep it real.