Sunday, January 14, 2007

Dr. Martin Luther King

Today is the celebration of the life and sacrifice of Dr. Martin Luther King. There is not much I can say that hasn't been said, no personal reflection or insight that would carry any weight. The only thing that I can say is that Dr. King made a great sacrifice that should never, ever be diminished or taken for granted. As a child it seemed so simple to understand that he fought for what was right. Aren't the lines between right and wrong so clear when your young? So I sang the songs and memorized the speeches and said the correct things to pay proper homage.

But I didn't get it. Not really! I didn't understand what it meant to have a family, a spouse and a child, and risk your life and theirs. Risk your livelihood and theirs. Face nonstop dissension from within and without. Suffer personal blows and humiliation. Live life under a never ending microscope. Risk leaving this world, and forfeiting the ability to raise your children, hold your grandchildren, smile into the eyes of your beautiful spouse.

I couldn't have done it. I wouldn't have. Not for black folks. Not for any folks. I would have fallen in line and did what I could to preserve what I had. I wish I could say better of myself, but it's not true. And I know that I am not the women Coretta Scott King was. To place a brave public face, to suffer silently, to watch your husband walk out the door knowing full well he might never return. To deal with the daily attacks, the bomb threats, the threats to your children's life. Never. It would have been simpler, easier, to just walk away, return to your folks and cover your children under the families protection. Make your husband choose between your family and the world. But she didn't. She remained the woman of perfect poise until her death.

So, when I think about Dr and Mrs. King, my mind is boggled by the day to day reality of it all. The day to day hurt, loss, suffering, love, celebration, joy, death, pain, isolation.....And there is nothing that can replace it, no amount of measure to be placed upon it. All I can do is live my life as a reflection of Dr. King's accomplishment, proving that equality in opportunity can be fully utilized to achieve the impossible. All I can do is thank him, his family, the multitudes of others that made a sacrifice I can't even comprehend to give me a chance, and, ultimately, make this country a better place.

Please, take the time today to acknowledge Dr. King. Celebrate this holiday and make it count!

No comments: