Thursday, January 11, 2007

Video Vixen Love

Just went to my girl Nikky's site Players Haters and Imitators. No matter how hard I try to hide it, I am always all up in the black hip hop, actor, artist scene and gossip. So, on the site today was a shot of Malinda Williams (Soul Food and three million other shows since we were kids - she's been acting forever) with none other than Melissa Ford. Now, you may not know the name. I first got hip to her when I watched VH1's video vixen expose'. She is a beautiful gilr, but she's got that video look all over her. I try not to judge, and she came across very straight on the VH1 thing, definitely not as scandalous as some.

Soon thereafter, she became a VJ at BET. Well, you know how that works, she was the appropriate color ---sorry my lighter complexioned friends, but lets be real, if you don't have prior hype BET still seems to go by the brown bag test (if you don't know what that is, ask any black person over 50, especially one that went to a black college). And if you can't pass that test, you better be brown with hair down your back Ananda Lewis style - or beautiful beyond compair (there was one exception, the newscaster whose name escapes me).

Anyway. Melissa. BET VJ. That's where I was, right? So, I caught her in passing, cause I been boycotting BET since the 90's (although I did watch the Lil Kim prison joint - couldn't help myself). Particularly boycotting tonight while they destroy one of the best shows running (who let them have the WIRE and pepper it with promos for American Gangsta and SOUL PLANE) yeah, cause that's what we need a black TV station for, to pile on all the stereotypical nonsense in one shot and destroy the true raw reflection of the Wire.

Alright, so anyway, my point is Melissa, BET VJ, has gotten her fare share of fame lately. When I saw her on Player Vista, she had removed the video vixennes. The weave, the contacts, the too wet lipstick, the over done pouty poses - all gone. And you know what, she looked like a cool, down, got your back homegirl!

Which made me think, why did The Game and Kanye West feel it necessary to out her and every other "video vixen" in The Game's latest joint Wouldn't Get Far? I don't get it. Isn't it the artist and the "hip hop" life that created this type of women in the first place. How else do you get in the game as a women, get a piece of fame? Then, after convincing our women that this is the only way in (on top of a myriad of other factors that further degrade us) these two idiots have to personally attack them and tell tehri business. And of course every Radio ONe station (a whole notha article of disgust) is playin this nonsense?

I have never seen a bigger group of women hating men than rappers. Think about it. Every thing is about sticking and movin- like Cuba and the hole in the wall of the ship. After the blast off, it is total hate and disregard, like a rapist after attacking his victim. SO, you sleep with every video chick you can get, then out them with blatant disregard. Don't forget, The Game was disrespectful to Maya, listen to the words of his biggest hit, don't watch the video and get it twisted, she was just fool enough to play along.

You know where I am going with this right. Why do these men hate women so much. I haven't read Karin's book (Superhead), but from what I heard the rappers were downright disgusting while the athletes were like regular men, getting something and giving something in return, but not blatant hateful spite. Now, I am not going to put it all the way out there, but some of you will get where I am going with this. In fact, to hell with it, how many hip hop artists are you suspecting hate women all the way to the point of no return, to possibly ballin for the other team? I am suspecting more and more.

In the meantime, I encourage Melissa Ford and others to hold their head up. No matter how they got in this game, no matter why they thought it was their path, I am going to stop hating on the victim. Black women tend to care for our men like they are boys, and we always take their side.

We don't like Clarence Thomas, but still don't support Anita Hill. Can't stand Mike Tyson, still refuse to see a Robin Given's movie or entertain the thought that a cannibal might also be a bit "aggressive" sexually. No. Our boys have gone too far. I, like others, supported hip hop, and believed that nonesense that "the term Bitch didn't apply to me," so there was nothing wrong with it. But guess what, the generation under me became so accustomed to it, that they don't even know its wrong. Missie Elliot and her "Ima B" song pretty much tied that up. Hell, it is applied to me by default - I am a black woman!.

Check this: Camer'on should never ever ever recieve any accolades from our community after rapping about bustin off on Nas' then four year old baby - rap battle be damned. R.Kelly should not be one of our biggest artists after pissin all over one child, marrying another and turning out a third who was a gospel phenom-during the height of her child gospel career (yes, De'Leone). AND WE BLAME THE WOMEN. WE look at superhead and roll our eyes, wonder what Aliyah's parents were thinking, shake our head at Nas' baby mama.

Yall know what, Im gonna put my money where my mouth is. I am buyin the expose books, to support my black women. I currently turn off the radio whenever R.Kelly's nasty self comes on. Even if the girls didn't know better, I sure as hell do. And The Game and Kanye - well, they just got put on my "cut off" list. Truth be told, Kanye was already there - convincing folks that going to college was a waste of time and pointin at his success as proof - leaving out the fact that his mama is a college professor and he lived a very privileged and rare life. I believe he is fluent in Chinese, ya'll, seriously. So, he needs to stop acting an unnecessary fool. I am tired of it ya'll....I got daughters to raise!!

7 comments:

PatriciaW said...

I think I've got a decade on you. If it weren't for my middle school son, I wouldn't even know about most of these folks. But you pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. When are we going to see these brothers for who they really are...and more importantly, value ourselves (and our sisters) above them?

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine mentioned 2012 last night to me and it's the first I heard about it so I jumped on here out of curiosity. I think it's kind of sick and sounds like a bunch of skeptical jargon.
I choose to live every day like it is the last because let's be real, WHO THE HELL KNOWS what is going to happen or when it's your time to go on. The past is history, the future is a mystery and now is a gift, thats why it's called the present. It's not healthy to sit around and trip out about when you will die. Stop wasting your time you have now.
[url=http://2012earth.net/apocalypse_-_a_process_controlled.html
]apocalypse 2012
[/url] - some truth about 2012

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hiya


great forum lots of helpful people just what i need can anybody tell me how they have built there list for people interested in marketing


hopefully this is just what im looking for, looks like i have a lot to read Im trying to find a way to build an e-mail list.

Anonymous said...

aszfsvasyeoxkszgtxnrv. [url=http://www.acnetreatment2k.com/]acne treatment[/url]
cuzarv

Anonymous said...

What a nice post. I really love reading these types or articles. I can?t wait to see what others have to say..