Monday, February 25, 2008

A Raisin

I turned the television to a Raisin in the Sun and watched the first several minutes. I turned the other televisions to the station, so we could properly support, although I have decided I am not going to watch. Not that it is not great, and not that I don't enjoy this particular cast immentsely. But, I don't want to replace the memory of the production of Broadway. I don't wnat to tamper with a rare a specail moment for me. So this time I will pass.

When the show on Broadway, I took my son to see it. It was the spring before he began highschool, it had been a difficult year. My husband and I were just reuniting, my son had just successfully completed homeschool, my daughters were readjusting to family. I was shaken to the core - everything I had ever believed in and relied upon had been sorely tested, destroyed, ripped apart, and used to disembody me.

My son and I stayed at the Belvedere and walked the streets of NY. We shopped, went to the Natural Science and History Museum, admired street vendors and musicians, visted the park. This was pre Broadway sterilization. MY son had the tarot cards read and we both went from skeptics to noncritics as she discussed his past in detail and gave insite into one of his future dreams. We watched the mimes put on the corniest celebration. We stomped 5th Ave, checked out the NBA store and watched a taping of an live interview with Kareem Abdul Jabar. We walked past the wax museum and, I told my son to go inside, but he passed, swearing that it was corny and I was treating him like a child. Turns out, Beyonce was in their signing autographs. Anyway, the day, the trip was perect. Then we made our way to the theatre to see the show.


Mind you, my son was still young, 14 or so, he was awed by Diddy. Wasn't it something to walk along the street along side his car, watching him on the phone in the front seat, just minutes before the show? As if that wasn't enough, we were in the second row, but on the two center aisle seats, meaning no one was in fron tof us. Without distortion, with clear view, and close enough to touch, I watched my personal idol - Phylicia Rashad light up the stage. I witnessed Sanaa's talent and beauty and sat amazed at Audra's depth. While Diddy was the focus of the young, I realized that Bill Nunn and cast were a unique and rare opportunity to see those who have shaped black theater, television and movies into reality. I was overwhelmed. I still am. I made eye contact wiht Phylicia and, I know this is very "fan"atic of me, but she saw me. I watched her for years, but I couldn't believe she saw me, smiled at me. The fact that I was clapping and smiling like I was crazy probably had a little something to do with that, but still. Here, the woman who embodied legal and family success in a way that I had never seen, and that I totally believed (now I am a lawyer with 5 kids - go figure) was right in front of me. I was enamored.

So, the television can't quite capture that performance, that night, that entire weekend for my son and I. And, while I am supporting the telecast, I am selfishly preserving my memory.

No comments: