Friday, October 20, 2006

Sexy Smart Black Men

I discovered a past associate who has a similar path in this writing thing. Talking to him opens miles of imagination for me, someone who is consumed by the old testiment, sci fi, and black issues - a writing soul mate. In this midst of our discussion he mentioned Mos Def, and the standard chill went thru me. He smiled, but was caught by surprise. I couldn't help it ya'll, he brings out the groupie in me. Which raises the question, why do we find Mos Def so attractive?

I think it is one of the indescribable things, similar to Pharrell, or Hill Harper, Eric Michael Dyson. It is not a physical thing, although Mos Def's entire appearance is equally appeasing to me. But I believe that we all have a belief in the ability of Black men to transcend the commoness, to display their brilliance and intuitiveness, while still keeping it real, gully, sexy. When you spot it, the Black man that has accepted the pursuit of knowledge with want and desire, is not afraid to educate and play abit, there is something so eternally sexy about that.....its like, the first taste of dark chocalate after a weeklong long starvation (I fast sometimes ya'll). So sweet and bitter, chills flow through the mouth, sweet floods the tongue, your head swoons temporary, mouth waters at anticipation of more. Yeah, that's what Mos Def does. Idris Elba. Terrance Howard. Common. Common. Common. Raheem Devaughn. John Legend. Morris Chestnut. Morris Chestnut. Talib Kwali (sp?). Thank God, there is more than one, a few more I could list ( I can't think of the brotha's from Soul Food the movie - that played Lem), some I can't even think of right now, cause Mos Def has clogged up the cognitive thought line - makes me think of the poem Brother, Damn.......Feel free to let me know who has that effect on you (LOL)

3 comments:

sj-the-infamous said...

Idris Elba. Whew.....

I cannot effectively express what that man does to me because just the thought of him reduces me to wicked grins and fanning of the hands. I do honestly believe him to be a dream come true; I have never been so smitten over a man I have never met before in my ENTIRE life. Makes no damn sense, whatsoever ha ha ha

Yea, he's definitely the cat's meow! Or is that the bee's knee's? You get the point!

Anonymous said...

Micheal Eley in Barbershop. Now normally that is not my type but he all of it. I find confidence very sexy in men. So I had to you list Delroy Lindo and the brother from The Practice.

a.Kai said...

I forgot about Michael Eley...thank you for listing him. Idris is something else - check out the picture I have of him on Discover Kai, on the poem Them Eyes. The picture of him brings chills. Girl, he replaced my entire list for a while there...gorgeous.