Thursday, October 12, 2006

Pay for Poems?

I'm sick y'all. Examined and verified - its the flu. My body has been aching for the last two days, but yesterday it just shut down. Felt like I was wearing a moon suit, with every step my body felt heavier until I just had to sit down somewhere. I slept from midnight until 7. 7 until noon. Noon until 3. Haven't had this much sleep since undergrad. A bit groggy, but better. Never too sick to blog, though!!

So, a new issue has come up. My fellow writers are expressing concern that I am posting poetry on the net, for free. One respected writer said I shouldn't give away anything for free, much less my writing. I understand that point of view, but I look at it a little different. Hear me out, tell me what you think:

If writing is a God given talent, then, by the simple nature of it being from God, it is given to me to share with the world - edify and uplift (this can lead off into a different discussion about content(godly vs. worldly)-see previous post). If I take the gift, write, but do not distribute based on the condition of money, then I am placing my own barrier against what I was called to do. If it is meant for me to get paid, then I will. I have other things in the works. But I also don't want to die, and have my greatgrands finding all these works that remained barricaded because I couldn't receive payment for them.

So, I post the poems. They're fun to write. I enjoy it. Maybe I will take them down after a month or so. I don't know. They are copyrighted, but I have no problem granting license to use to anybody that requests it. Maybe I'm trippin, but at the end of this life, my measure has to be more than my pocketbook, don't you think?

4 comments:

Shai said...

Hey Kai, that is my middle name.

Poetry is a form of creativity I love to do. And I do want to sell poetry and possibly make money. At the same time I hope to inspire, inform and entertain.

Sometimes I think people want to make you feel bad if you use your creativity to make money. Novelists don't get in as much trouble for it. JMHO.

a.Kai said...

We share a middle name and common interests - see, I am so glad you blog so I could meet you!! I would like to live off the writing, have one of those wrtiers lives depicted in movies. Like Diane Keaton (i think) in As Good As it Gets. Or Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail. Or Even Sanaa Lathan in Brown Sugar. But I am afraid that if I don't post my writing until I am paid, and payment never happens for me, then I will never have shared, you know....

Shai said...

Kai, it is going to be exciting regardless of what happens with the money.

I love how folks are affected by my writing. As I blog, I practice for bigger things like being a journalist on and offline.

Isn't an adventure and fun to write what you feel and others get affected to. I am not a control freak however it feels good to connect with people through words.

a.Kai said...

Your right - its amazing to have an inspiration and then someone understand and relate to it!! Feels so good...