Saturday, October 14, 2006

Picture


My Alabama girlfriend (no, I will not call her a Bama) mentioned the lack of my picture on the site. I haven't posted it for a few reasons, first, I am not photogenic. Really. I have two good pictures of me, and digging those up would take too much time. Second, I want the reader to read the poetry without an idea about me. A picture gives a preconceived notion of where I am coming from, taints the experience. Some of my poems are designed to surprise, make you gasp, render some sensual emotion - I think a picture of me might somehow undermine that.

Of course, it is really just that ole self concious thing. I don't want to be under the microscope. I fight self esteem issues daily, and reexamining my picture on my blog would just be an emotional hassle. Discover Kai was supposed to be the place where my imagination could run wild without bringing speculation upon myself. But, in light of the number of requests, I am giving in....I guess I have nothing to hide.

FYI, the picture above was on display in the Smithsonian, taken by Camille Mosley Pasley as part of the Mama Love Book. More info at http://pasleyplace.com. Since I am posting it here, I will probably put it on Discover Kai temporarily. And yes, they are twins, fraternal. Baby boy Jordan and baby girl Jada.....

No comments: